If you’re tired of same old, boring sloppy joes, here’s a tasty twist! These messy, kid-friendly sandwiches have a definite pizza flavor that families will love, but be sure to serve them with a fork! Connie Pettit - Logan, OH
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (about 50 slices), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Stir in the pizza sauce, pepperoni and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Spoon 2/3 cup beef mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Joes in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p55
Reviews for Pizza Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review