- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (about 50 slices), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Stir in the pizza sauce, pepperoni and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 2/3 cup beef mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Pizza Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"My kids love this! I always double the recipe so I can freeze half for a super-quick dinner another night."
"My mother pretty much insulted my cooking after i made this. She said it sucked. I kind of liked it but, it could use some adjustments. It's pretty much spaghetti without the pasta and, my mom loves spaghetti but, only when she makes it though. It might just be her."
"I agree this seemed a little too salty (and I love my salt!). It seemed as if it needed to be served with pasta rather than on hamburger buns."
"It turned out way too salty for our taste with the sauce and pepperoni and cheese."
"It was a nice change from the typical sloppy joe's... It will go into our regular lunch/dinner rotation. :)"