Pizza Sloppy Joes
If you’re tired of same old, boring sloppy joes, here’s a tasty twist! These messy, kid-friendly sandwiches have a definite pizza flavor that families will love, but be sure to serve them with a fork!
Connie Pettit - Logan, OH
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (about 50 slices), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Stir
- in the pizza sauce, pepperoni and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 2/3 cup beef mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheese. Place
- on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until
- cheese is melted. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 329 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 825 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet