Pizza Rusticana Recipe
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 medium red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large portobello mushroom, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Unroll crust into a lightly greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; flatten dough and build up edges slightly. Brush crust with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake at 425° for 7 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil and Italian seasoning; set aside.
- 3. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the onion, red peppers, mushroom and remaining oil; seal bag and toss to coat. Place vegetables in a single layer on a greased broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 15 minutes.
- 4. Arrange tomatoes over crust; top with roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 35 servings.
1 piece equals 77 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.