Marilyn Cowan from North Manchester, Indiana turns her slow cooker into a pizzeria with this zesty layered casserole. It is loaded with cheese, Italian sausage, pepperoni and pasta.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cups uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (one 15 ounces, one 8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and halved
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Cook pasta
- according to package directions; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer half of the sausage, pasta, cheese,
- soup, onion, pizza sauce, pepperoni and olives. Repeat layers. Cover
- and cook on low for 4 hours. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 525 calories, 30 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 1,573 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.