Pizza Rice Casserole Recipe
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, parsley, garlic powder, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Combine the rice and cottage cheese; spoon half into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 335 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,075 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.