- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/3 cups minced pepperoni (about 5 ounces)
- 2 cups pizza sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, oregano and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stir in cheese and pepperoni; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Divide each piece into eight balls. Roll each ball into a 12-in. rope. Tie into a loose knot, leaving two long ends. Fold top end under roll; bring bottom end up and press into center of roll. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with pizza sauce. Yield: 32 appetizers.
Reviews for Pizza Poppers
Sort By :
I've made these twice now and my family just gobbles them down. These rolls are very tender and soft and we all just love them! I think next time I will try adding some other pizza toppings and see what happens. These are going on my regular rotation of things to eat.
I made this recipe for our bazaar. Once the teens sampled it -- these rolls were all gone. Everyone who tasted this roll loved it. I'll have to make it again. Thnnks for sharing it.