Pizza Parlor Pasta
In Nashua, Iowa, Shelley Pimlott offers garlic bread and a tossed green salad alongside this cheesy dish. "It reminds me of a pasta specialty at a popular pizza parlor," she writes.
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1/3 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1-1/3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1/3 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble the
- sausage into a small skillet; add onion and green pepper. Cook over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the spaghetti
- sauce, cottage cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup
- Colby-Monterey Jack cheese.
- Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking
- dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining shredded
- cheeses. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving: 1 cup (prepared with turkey sausage and reduced-fat cheese) equals 448 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,277 mg sodium,