With mozzarella cheese inside, these tender meatballs taste almost like pizza. Whether I make them for a church potluck or a family gathering, they're a hit with all ages. --Kim Kanatzar, Blue Springs, Missouri
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 jars (28 ounces each) pizza sauce
- Hot cooked pasta or rice or sandwich buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs.
- Stuff a cube of cheese into the center of each meatball, covering the cheese completely with meat. Roll lightly in flour.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add pizza sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Serve with pasta, rice, in buns or as an appetizer. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Pizza Meatballs in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p37
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Pizza Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review