- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 8 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 jars (28 ounces each) pizza sauce
- Hot cooked pasta or rice or sandwich buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs.
- Stuff a cube of cheese into the center of each meatball, covering the cheese completely with meat. Roll lightly in flour.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add pizza sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Serve with pasta, rice, in buns or as an appetizer. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Pizza Meatballs
Sort By :
they are good, but not something I would normally make because they are time consuming. I baked my meatballs at 400 for 20 minutes and I did not roll them in flour or fry in oil. That worked very well.. Especially is using to make pizza meatball subs, would be less time consuming to just make the meatballs, simmer them in pizza sauce and top with shredded mozzarella cheese instead of stuffing them.
I made the meatballs and brought them to a potluck as an appetizer. They were a hit! A nice change from typical meatball recipes.
These were really good. I halved the recipe for us. I served them as subs, but I think next time I would serve them over pasta.
My 11 year old niece made the meatballs and they are delicious!!!!
Made this for supper last night. I thought it was good, but my hubby really liked and he ate all the leftovers!! I thought the browning was a pain so if I make this again, I think I will try baking the meatballs in the oven and then add them to the sauce.