Pizza Meatball Subs Recipe
I made these sandwiches one evening for my family, and they were a huge hit with everyone, including the picky eaters. There’s plenty of sauce and cheese to complement the baked meatballs.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 5 min. YIELD:6-7 servings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 6 to 7 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 to 7 submarine buns, split
- 9 to 11 slices process American cheese, cut into strips
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, steak sauce, saltines, onion powder, seasoned salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Spread mayonnaise over bun bottoms; top each with American cheese, 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, meatballs and remaining pizza sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-7 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 856 calories, 41 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 1,856 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 44 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC