I made these sandwiches one evening for my family, and they were a huge hit with everyone, including the picky eaters. There’s plenty of sauce and cheese to complement the baked meatballs.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 to 7 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 to 7 submarine buns, split
- 9 to 11 slices process American cheese, cut into strips
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, steak sauce, saltines, onion powder, seasoned salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread mayonnaise over bun bottoms; top each with American cheese, 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, meatballs and remaining pizza sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-7 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Meatball Subs in Taste of Home October/November 2006, p31
Reviews for Pizza Meatball Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review