Pizza Margherita Recipe
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 20 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 cups (2 pounds) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to two greased 14-in. pizza pans; build up edges slightly. Cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Spoon tomatoes over dough. Top with basil, oregano, cheese, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 slices each).
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Pizza Margherita
Sort By :
Our family's favorite pizza. We make one big pizza and cut the cheese and basil in half and add grated Parmesan to the top before we bake it. We also don't add crushed red pepper, only to each serving . We also cook sausage to sprinkle on after the pizzas done for those who like meat but I prefer it how it is. The crust is what makes this dish. Love it and make it at least once a month.
This recipe was very good. I did change a few things. I needed to make it gluten free so I used a gluten free crust. Also, I change a few ingredients to work with things I had available. I substituted fresh mozzarella and fresh tomatoes. This recipe is great for a light flavorful meal. I will definitely be making this again. I always enjoy recipes that have a little kick to them too!
It's a different take on pizza. Has a lot of flavor with the crushed red pepper and fresh basil. I often make the whole recipe but as one pizza.
I used real tomatoes, fresh spinach instead of basil, bell peppers, and chunks of grilled chicken. YUM!
My favourite pizza. I used extra basil leaves and fresh oregano rather that the dried. I used fresh tomatoes and loaded the top with fresh basil and oregans. I also used Tex Mex cheese