Love pizza? Then you'll love the tasty spin this recipe puts on it. Plus, it's easy to tailor for picky eaters. Carol Gillespie - Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- 1/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed and halved
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 8 slices pepperoni
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Set aside.
- Roll half of dough into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Layer with half of the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and pizza sauce. Top with the sausage mixture, pepperoni, mushrooms and 1/8 teaspoon oregano.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling; seal edges. Layer with remaining pizza sauce, cheeses and oregano. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Lover's Pie in Simple & Delicious March/April 2009, p58
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Pizza Lover's Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review