These Italian-style sloppy joes are just great. They can be prepared and held until everyone's settled and all set to eat.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 1 ounce sliced pepperoni
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in pizza sauce and oregano.
- In a food processor, combine the onion, pepper and pepperoni; cover
- and process until chopped. Add to beef mixture. Simmer 20-25 minutes
- or until vegetables are tender. Spoon mixture onto buns. Top with
- cheese and mushrooms. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 320 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 594 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet