Pizza in a Pot Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Hot cooked pasta
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the next 13 ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until slightly thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving with pasta. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Do not cook or add pasta. Freeze cooled sausage mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook pasta according to package directions. Place sausage mixture in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with pasta and, if desired, mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 338 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 1,423 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Pizza in a Pot
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.