- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Hot cooked pasta
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the next 13 ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until slightly thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving with pasta. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Do not cook or add pasta. Freeze cooled sausage mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook pasta according to package directions. Place sausage mixture in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with pasta and, if desired, mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pizza in a Pot
"We liked it but hate the name, "in the pot" so my daughter wants to call it something like Fiesta Pizza."
"I went ahead and added 8 ounces of our fav pepperoni chopped in medium sized pieces and browned it with the sausage. I then drained all the meat on paper towels before putting it in the crock pot with other ingred. Turned out really good. I served it with Asiago cheese because we like the flavor.CEA"
"Looks like pepperoni in the picture!!!??? Is there pepperoni in this recipe? If so, when does it get added?"
"Easy and quick to make with great flavor. Kids love it. I've been making it since the recipe came out in 1999."