Pizza Hoagies Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 hoagie or submarine sandwich buns or French rolls
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce, olives, basil and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Cut 1/4 in. off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese inside each shell. Fill each with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, gently pressing down to flatten. Replace bread tops.
- 3. Individually wrap four sandwiches tightly in foil; freeze for up to 3 months. Place remaining sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. To use frozen hoagies: Place foil wrapped hoagies on baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 611 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 1,144 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Pizza Hoagies
"These sandwiches just saved my day! I made extra and had some in the freezer. Someone in our house ate what I had in the refrigerator at lunch, so I needed something to feed them! We really enjoy these sandwiches anytime!"