My husband and three sons love these crispy sandwiches filled with a moist pizza-flavored mixture. I often make them on a weekend and double the recipe. On week-nights when I'm busy or helping my son with homework, I pop the sandwiches in the oven and have a family-pleasing dinner on the table without a lot of effort. —Barbara Mery Bothell, Washington
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 hoagie or submarine sandwich buns or French rolls
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce, olives, basil and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut 1/4 in. off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese inside each shell. Fill each with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, gently pressing down to flatten. Replace bread tops.
- Individually wrap four sandwiches tightly in foil; freeze for up to 3 months. Place remaining sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen hoagies: Place foil wrapped hoagies on baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Hoagies in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p29
Reviews for Pizza Hoagies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2010
"These sandwiches just saved my day! I made extra and had some in the freezer. Someone in our house ate what I had in the refrigerator at lunch, so I needed something to feed them! We really enjoy these sandwiches anytime!"