Pizza from Scratch Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients; set aside. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to greased 12-in. pizza pans; build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread sauce over hot crusts to within 2-in. of edges; top with sausage, mushrooms, green pepper and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 servings each, 2 slices per serving).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pizza from Scratch
Sort By :
Beat on medium speed?? Seriously?? Thanks a bunch, the 2 c. flour hadn't even all been mixed in and the dough has climbed up the beaters and into my mixer. Did it ruin your mixer when you made it too? I will never make this again and dont reccomend it to anyone else either. I'm sure the toppings and sauce are great, but the dough is bad.
This was a great recipe. My family loved it. We used pepperoni instead of sausage, and added olives. Very versatile recipe. Thanks!
When I made this for my In-laws they loved it! It is easy and delicious. The sauce is the best part. I make it often, per my husband's request.