- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Dash pepper
- 8 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 13 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Oil for frying
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool for 20 minutes. Stir in cheese.
- Place 1/3 cup sausage mixture in the center of each egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Brush remaining corner with egg; roll up tightly to seal.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 13 egg rolls.
Reviews for Pizza Egg Rolls
Sort By :
"My daughter said that these tasted like I took a Pizza Hut pizza and rolled it up into an egg roll. My husband declared this recipe a 'keeper'. I did add a little ham & pepperoni to make up for the fact that I didn't have the full amount of Italian sausage."
"Delicious! We loved the fresh combination of flavors in the crispy wrappers."
"The kids request this for birthday dinners!"
"These egg rolls are the bomb! You can easily swap out ingredients to make to your liking or to use things on hand...so good! Note: I fry mine in an electric fry pan/skillet and just turn them a few times till done. When I did them in the deep fryer, they "leaked" and made the oil nasty...so I find it easier and less waste to do them in the electric skillet. Enjoy!!"