From Beloit, Wisconsin, Lisa Trunckenbrod sends this better-for-you version of an all-time lunch-counter classic. Loaded with popular pizza flavor, the cheese-topped burgers not only taste great, but they beat the clock as well.
Featured In: Pizza-Flavored Recipes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 tomato slices
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into six patties. Place on broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Broil 6 in. from heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Burgers in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p7
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pizza Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2010
"I didn't make these in the broiler, I just did them in a skillet. They fell apart a little but were very tasty!"