From Beloit, Wisconsin, Lisa Trunckenbrod sends this better-for-you version of an all-time lunch-counter classic. Loaded with popular pizza flavor, the cheese-topped burgers not only taste great, but they beat the clock as well.
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 tomato slices
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into six patties. Place on broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Broil 6 in. from heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Burgers in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p7
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pizza Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review