For fast appetizers or after-school munchies, fix a batch of these zippy bites from Angie Marquart of Bellville, Ohio. They're covered with onion, seasoned tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Add whatever pizza toppings you like.
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tube (7-1/2 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Pour butter into a 9-in. square baking dish; set aside. In a bowl,
- combine the tomato sauce, onion, oil, garlic, basil and oregano.
- Cut each biscuit into four wedges; dip into tomato mixture.
- Place in prepared pan; pour any remaining tomato mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes
- or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (4 biscuit pieces, prepared with part-skim mozzarella) equals 99 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 317 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.