- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Sprinkle roast with 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt. Place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; add 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, pepper, bay leaves and remaining Italian seasoning, salt and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Discard bay leaves.
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Place squash on a microwave-safe plate, cut side down. Microwave, uncovered, on high 15-20 minutes or until tender. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands.
- Remove roast; discard cooking juices. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Return meat to slow cooker. Stir in sauce; heat through.
- Using tongs, place meat mixture on bun bottoms; top with squash. Replace tops. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pitchfork Pulled Pork in Ultimate Halloween 2016
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Pitchfork Pulled Pork
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review