- 2/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 Italian sausage link (4 ounces), casing removed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add turkey and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake 18-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add red pepper and pepper flakes; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until red pepper is tender. Add wine; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch, orange juice, broth, honey and orange peel until blended. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in basil and meatballs. Sprinkle with pistachios. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forPistachio-Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce
"While the meatballs themselves taste fine, I didn't care for the orange sauce at all. I brought the dish to the potluck anyways and I was shocked at how many people liked the dish. I was told the recipe reminded them of thai food. So, while I won't make it again because I didn't like the dish, I was happy that the meatballs were gobbled up by those who enjoyed the unique flavors."
"These were really different and everyone enjoyed them! There is a lot of flavors going on with this dish, but it all came together in a nice way. It needed a few tweaks - I increased the salt and added soy sauce to both the meatballs and the sauce and it gave this dish the depth it needed. Will definitely make again."