Pistachios and a bright, spicy orange sauce flavored with honey and basil make these mini-meatballs a real party favorite. — Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
- 2/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 Italian sausage link (4 ounces), casing removed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add turkey and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake 18-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add red pepper and pepper flakes; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until red pepper is tender. Add wine; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch, orange juice, broth, honey and orange peel until blended. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in basil and meatballs. Sprinkle with pistachios. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pistachio-Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce in Taste of Home November 2013
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Pistachio-Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review