We tasted these melt-in-your-mouth morsels at a Christmas party several years ago. We tweaked the recipe to include pistachios. The cookies disappear so quickly at parties, you just might have to watch the plate—and check the kids' pockets! —LORRAINE CALAND, SHUNIAH, Ontario
Recommended: The Best Cookies for Dunking
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ground pistachios
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- OPTIONAL GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pistachios.
- Preheat oven to 300°. On a surface sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. fluted round cookie cutter dusted with confectioners' sugar. Place cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 18-20 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread preserves on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. If desired, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pistachio Shortbread Sandwiches in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017