"Some years ago I decided to take a bread-baking course at our local school since I had never worked with yeast. I have never tasted anything as good or had as many compliments as I did when I brought home this pretty sweet bread."
18 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup shelled salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water;
- let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, 2 cups flour
- and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining
- flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll into a 16-in. x 12-in.