Pistachio Pinwheels Recipe
These whimsical treats from our Test Kitchen look complex, but they're a cinch to assemble. You'll love the pistachio's nutty flavor combined with the dough's sweet taste.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red paste food coloring
- 1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg whites, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half; add food coloring to one portion. Divide red and plain doughs into two portions. Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll out one portion of plain dough into an 8-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Repeat with one portion of red dough. Remove waxed paper; place red dough over plain.
- 3. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Roll the log in pistachios; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining doughs. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 4. Unwrap logs; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 49 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC