- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red paste food coloring
- 1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg whites, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half; add food coloring to one portion. Divide red and plain doughs into two portions. Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll out one portion of plain dough into an 8-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Repeat with one portion of red dough. Remove waxed paper; place red dough over plain.
- Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Roll the log in pistachios; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining doughs. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap logs; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Pistachio Pinwheels
"There seems to be an awful lot of cake flour compaired to the small amount of liquid. Mine certianly did not turn out as a dough. It is more like crumbs to be pressed into the bottom of a pan for squares. There is no way that I could roll it out between two sheets of waxed paper. I am possibly doing something wrong but for the life of me I do not know what it is. The eggs I used were large, it does not specify in the recipe that they should be a certain size.I would appreciate hearing what you think I may have done incorrectly. Thanks Megan Cappell"