This was one of my mom's favorite holiday cookie recipes. Light as air and with the flavors and colors of Christmas, each time I bake a batch it's a sweet reminder of how precious those times were with her.—Lisa Renshaw, Kansas City, Missouri
Recommended: 42 Easy Desserts That Keep Life Simple and Sweet
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 cup finely crushed peppermint candies
- Additional chopped pistachios, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in baking chips, pistachios and crushed candies.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with additional pistachios. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 10 dozen.
Originally published as Pistachio-Mint Meringue Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014, p2-5