Pistachio-Date Cake with Chantilly Creme Recipe
The distinctive taste of dark beer adds a hearty and interesting note to this tenderly spiced cake, studded with pistachio nuts and chopped dates and accented with a gingered cream topping. Your guests will love this one! —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dark beer, room temperature
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pistachios
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with beer. Beat just until combined. Fold in dates and pistachios.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 300° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in ginger. Serve with cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice with 2 tablespoons cream equals 520 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC