Pistachio-Crusted Chicken with Garden Spinach Recipe
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 1-1/4 cups pistachios
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1. Broil pepper 4 in. from heat until blistered. Rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Place in a small bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Process pistachios in a food processor until ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl; add bread crumbs. Place buttermilk in another bowl.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; dip in buttermilk, then coat with pistachio mixture. Place on a work surface; top with goat cheese and basil. Fold chicken in half; secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- 3. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks.
- 4. Discard charred skin from pepper; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper in a food processor. In a small skillet, saute shallot in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth; heat through. Add mixture to the food processor; process until blended.
- 5. Whisk vinegar and oil. Add spinach and basil; toss to coat. Divide salad among four plates; top with chicken and pepper sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast with 3/4 cup salad and 2 tablespoons sauce equals 652 calories, 37 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 909 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 52 g protein.
Reviews for Pistachio-Crusted Chicken with Garden Spinach
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.