- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 60 shelled pistachios (about 1/3 cup)
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in egg, lemon peel, vanilla and food coloring. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-1/2-in.-long roll. Roll in chopped pistachios. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a whole pistachio into the center of each cookie.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Pistachio Cream Cheese Cookies
Sort By :
"It is true that these cookies have very little pistachio flavor, but they were such an attractive and easy cookie that I doctored the recipe, and now it is exactly what I want. I omit the lemon peel, and substitute almond extract for the vanilla. I really like the cream cheese dough, and they look fantastic on a cookie tray!"
"My mom made these last Christmas. They are pretty but I think next time I will add some almond extract and cherries as one of the reviews suggested."
"I added very finely, almost powdered , pistachios to this and it turned out more flavorful. I also double the recipe and divided it in half before adding the pistachios and green. To the second half I added 18 finely minced and paper towel blotted maraschino cherries , two drops of almond flavoring, and a few drops of red food coloring. I rolled the pistachio in the nuts and the cherry in coconut. I put a pistachio on top of the green cookies and a half maraschino cherry on the pink cookies. They look beautiful on the serving tray and taste scrumptious. Will definitely make again."
"I made these for christmas cookies today. I was a little disappointed they didn't have any pistachio flavor as a previous reviewer mentioned below. They are really nice looking and a festive cookie for the holiday. I think next time I will make them with a box of pistachio pudding mix to add some pistachio flavor throughout."
"very tasteless cookie. love pistachio but you would never know there was pistachio in it. will not be making again"