- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 60 shelled pistachios (about 1/3 cup)
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in egg, lemon peel, vanilla and food coloring. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-1/2-in.-long roll. Roll in chopped pistachios. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a whole pistachio into the center of each cookie.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Pistachio Cream Cheese Cookies
"I looked forward to trying these cookies from the moment I saw them in Taste of Home. However, they ended up being a huge disappointment. While they were quite easy to make and look very pretty, they are very bland with no discernable pistachio flavor at all. I felt like it was a huge waste of money using all those pistachios when you couldn't even taste them. I won't be making these again."
"It is true that these cookies have very little pistachio flavor, but they were such an attractive and easy cookie that I doctored the recipe, and now it is exactly what I want. I omit the lemon peel, and substitute almond extract for the vanilla. I really like the cream cheese dough, and they look fantastic on a cookie tray!"
"My mom made these last Christmas. They are pretty but I think next time I will add some almond extract and cherries as one of the reviews suggested."
"I added very finely, almost powdered , pistachios to this and it turned out more flavorful. I also double the recipe and divided it in half before adding the pistachios and green. To the second half I added 18 finely minced and paper towel blotted maraschino cherries , two drops of almond flavoring, and a few drops of red food coloring. I rolled the pistachio in the nuts and the cherry in coconut. I put a pistachio on top of the green cookies and a half maraschino cherry on the pink cookies. They look beautiful on the serving tray and taste scrumptious. Will definitely make again."
"I made these for christmas cookies today. I was a little disappointed they didn't have any pistachio flavor as a previous reviewer mentioned below. They are really nice looking and a festive cookie for the holiday. I think next time I will make them with a box of pistachio pudding mix to add some pistachio flavor throughout."