Pistachio Cranberry Orzo
“This recipe was originally an entree with chicken and linguini,” notes Barbara Spitzer of Lodi, California. “I keep changing the ingredients to go with whatever else I’m serving for dinner, but my husband prefers this recipe.”
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons marsala wine or additional chicken broth
- Dash salt and pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a nonstick
- skillet, saute shallot in oil and butter for 1 minute. Add the
- pistachios; saute for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the cranberries, cream, broth and wine. Cook over medium heat
- for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Drain orzo; add to cranberry
- mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (prepared with half-and-half cream) equals 422 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.