“This recipe was originally an entree with chicken and linguini,” notes Barbara Spitzer of Lodi, California. “I keep changing the ingredients to go with whatever else I’m serving for dinner, but my husband prefers this recipe.”
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons marsala wine or additional chicken broth
- Dash salt and pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, saute shallot in oil and butter for 1 minute. Add the pistachios; saute for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the cranberries, cream, broth and wine. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Drain orzo; add to cranberry mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pistachio Cranberry Orzo in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p31
Reviews for Pistachio Cranberry Orzo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review