Pistachio-Chocolate Chiffon Roll Recipe
This cake roll keeps well in the freezer; just thaw and glaze before serving. I sometimes add crushed peppermint candies to the filling.
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1 drop yellow food coloring
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons milk
- 1. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, 10 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, oil and chocolate; add to the flour mixture and beat until well combined. Add water; beat until smooth.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Roll up cake in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a bowl, beat the cream, sugar and extracts until soft peaks form. Add food coloring; mix well. Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with pistachios. Roll up again. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC