- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 10 drops green food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Mix melted chocolate into half of dough; add pistachios and food coloring if desired to the remaining half. Divide each dough into four portions.
- Roll out one chocolate portion into an 8-in. x 3-in. rectangle. Roll one green portion into an 8-in. log; place on chocolate dough 1 in. from a long side. Roll dough around filling and seal edges. Repeat with remaining dough. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 10 dozen.
Reviews for Pistachio Buttons
Sort By :
"This cookie was very easy to make and very good. I made it just as the recipe is written. Thank you cherylrein for the suggestion.....I did roll the outer edges as you suggested in additional crushed pistachios. I went a step further and placed 1 pistachio in the center of each cookie before baking. I think next time I may add a few drops of pistachio flavoring to the green center dough, just because I LOVE pistachios and would like that flavor to come through a little more. But overall a very good cookie and something different and festive to add to my cookie trays this year."
"I found these hard to cut into 1/4 inch slices. I made them thicker and baked a bit longer. Wished they had a bit more chocolate flavour."
"These were delicious! I was a little worried about the amount of almond extract, but it was perfect. I actually used more butter than called for on accident, so the dough was quite moist. My husband really liked these, too! They are very cute."
"I made it today. It was easy and good. I did roll the finished rolls in additional crushed pistachios and it added more of the good pistachio flavor. I think it would be good even without the chocolate dough. I plan to try it that way next time. Got done in 7 to 8 minutes in my oven."
"These were good and presentation nice.Please don't rate any recipe low if you entirely change the recipe as in the gluten free person.your review is useless to us and lowers the score of the recipe. Totally irresponsible!"