Pistachio Apricot Bars
Mom tops a pistachio crust with apricot preserves and more chopped nuts to make these moist and buttery shortbread-like bars. They’re the perfect dessert for a Syrian menu. —Weda Mosellie, Phillipsburg, New Jersey
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- Additional chopped pistachios, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in the egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture and
- mix well. Stir in pistachios. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Spread with preserves.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Garnish with additional
- pistachios if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 173 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.