Pioneer Bread Pudding Recipe
- 2 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch pieces), crusts removed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 drop yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. Place bread cubes in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. In a saucepan, heat milk, sugar, butter and salt over low heat just until butter melts. In a bowl, beat eggs; whisk in warm milk mixture. Stir in vanilla. Pour over bread. Place baking dish in a shallow pan of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in from the edge comes out clean. For the lemon sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. stir in water and lemon peel; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and food coloring. Serve warm or cold with the pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 293 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Pioneer Bread Pudding
"I added a little nutmeg and cloves. If you like the old fashioned bread pudding, you will love this recipe."