Pinwheels and Checkerboards
My mom used to make these cookies every Christmas, and I still love them. They are so colorful...and you can get two kinds of cookies from one dough! They're perfect for including in gift boxes.Jill Heatwole, Pittsville, Maryland
120 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Red and green gel food coloring
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat
- in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder,
- salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into four portions. Tint one portion red and one portion
- green. Stir chocolate into another portion. Wrap chocolate and plain
- portions in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to
- For pinwheel cookies, divide red and green portions in half. Roll out
- each portion between waxed paper into a 9x6-in. rectangle.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Remove waxed paper. Place one green rectangle over a red rectangle.