Both my grandmother and my mom used to make these eye-catching confections as a replacement for ordinary mints at Christmas. When I offer them at parties, guests tell me the mints are wonderful, and then ask how I created the pretty swirl pattern.
18 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 7-1/2 to 8-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Red and green food coloring
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and extract until smooth.
- Gradually beat in as much confectioners' sugar as possible.
- Turn onto a work surface dusted with confectioners' sugar; knead in
- remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth and sugar is absorbed
- (mixture will be stiff). Divide mixture in half. Using food
- coloring, tint one portion pink and the other portion light green,
- kneading until blended.
- Divide each portion in half; shape each half into a 10-in. log to
- make two pink logs and two green logs. Place one log on a 12-in.
- piece of waxed paper lightly dusted with confectioners' sugar.
- Flatten log slightly; cover with a second piece of waxed paper. Roll
- out candy mixture into a 12-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Repeat with
- remaining logs.
- Remove top sheet of waxed paper from one pink and one green
- rectangle. Place one rectangle over the other. Roll up jelly-roll
- style, starting with a long side. Wrap in waxed paper; twist ends.