Pinto Pepperoni Chili Recipe
My husband and I have always loved chili, but our daughters would pick out the kidney beans. When I discovered the girls loved Mexican food, I decided to use pinto beans in my chili instead. They loved every bite! - Tara Dvorak, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place the beans in a Dutch oven; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and discard liquid. Add 4 cups water and onion to the beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- 3. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered for 3 hours or until thick and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Yield: 14 servings(3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 each) equals 231 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 649 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC