Pinto Beans with Kielbasa Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 287 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,363 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat.