Pinto Beans and Rice Recipe
I love to try different foods, and I especially like to see the reaction of my family when I put new dishes on the dinner table. This was a success. I've since served it at many potlucks and have been asked for the recipe every time.—Linda Romano, Mt. Airy, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke if desired, salt and pepper. Stir in rice and beans.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 263 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC