Pinto Bean Zucchini Boats Recipe
Zucchini shells take center stage when filled with vegetables, beans and sauce.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 large zucchini
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Chop pulp and set aside. In a Dutch oven, bring water and salt to a boil. Add zucchini shells; cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the onion and zucchini pulp in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili sauce, cilantro and cumin. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Spoon into zucchini shells; sprinkle with tomato. Yield: 4 servings.
2 stuffed zucchini halves equal 368 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 2,079 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC