Zucchini shells take center stage when filled with vegetables, beans and sauce.
- 4 large zucchini
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Chop pulp and set aside. In a Dutch oven, bring water and salt to a boil. Add zucchini shells; cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and zucchini pulp in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili sauce, cilantro and cumin. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Spoon into zucchini shells; sprinkle with tomato. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pinto Bean Zucchini Boats in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p208
Reviews for Pinto Bean Zucchini Boats
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2013
"This was great- I didn't use the gouda though- I used shredded Mexican blend cheese."