Pinto Bean Turnovers
Try these satisfying snacks from Sue Seymour Valatie, New York. She pats cheese into the dough, then tucks in store-bought bean dip to fix these tasty turnovers. "They're easy to assemble with prepared pie crusts," she says.
15 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup pinto bean dip
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine bean dip, onion and green pepper; set aside. On a
- lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Sprinkle
- with half of cheese; press lightly with fingers. Turn pastry over;
- sprinkle with remaining cheese and press lightly. Cut into 3-in.
- Place about 2 teaspoons bean mixture in the center of each circle.
- Fold over; press edges with a fork to seal. Sprinkle with chili
- powder. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for
- 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with salsa and sour cream
- if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 155 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.