- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese or queso fresco
- Lime wedges
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, lime peel, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir just until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Stir in beans, pepper sauce, chili powder and remaining salt; heat through, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with remaining oil. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in two batches; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp.
- To serve, arrange beans and lettuce over tostada shells; top with salsa, sour cream mixture and cheese. Serve with lime wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Pinto Bean Tostadas
"This was a surprisingly good and easy to prepare tostada. We sprinkled chopped tomatoes and red onions on top of the lettuce, then a dollop of lime cream ( love that cream)."
"Great! Looked plain in the picture, but the flavors were complex. Lime sour cream was unexpected. Restaurant quality."